26 December 2014
Urgent Call For Unceasing Prayer Over The Critical Flood Situation In The Northern Peninsular
Dear Pastors, Elders and Church Leaders,
The northern states of Perak, Kelantan, Terengganu and Pahang are facing their worst monsoon flood in decades. They have recorded up to 119,000 persons evacuated which is higher than the previous record of 100,000 back in 2008. Situation has somewhat improved with two days of sunshine in Kota Bharu and flood levels falling back to non dangerous level elsewhere. Nevertheless, the monsoon season is still not over and there could be more rain ahead. Many areas are still not accessible by road and evacuation centres full. In certain places finding clean water is a challenge with some having to depend on rain water. Power supply also remains down in many places for safety reasons.
Needless to say, we not only have a crisis at hand but need all Christians everywhere to intercede for the weather to hold up as well as to step forward in assisting in the relief and rebuilding work. We especially call upon all NECF Churches to set aside time for prayer over this crisis in their coming weekend services. We appeal to all believers to showcase the love of God by assisting in whatever way possible.
Please pray for:
- For the monsoon season to be shortened and for the rain to stop
- For the flood level drop and the waters to begin to recede
- For adequate food supply and clean water
- For the rescue and relief efforts to be well coordinated and executed speedily
- For the needs of the evacuees; especially the minors, elderly, pregnant mothers, those with disabilities and medically dependent to be given their needed attention
Those who wish to help financially may do so by sending in their offerings to NECF. Do earmark your gifts "Flood crisis 2014."